[PSUBS-MAILIST] Star 1, Asherah

Correction, I just looked it up--Asherah was launched FIVE months after the first phone call. Wow, what were they doing in their spare time? Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: vbra676539@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 9:50 pm
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] MIG Welding a Sub

Jay, Asherah was between STAR I & STAR II. The star designation was (for the newbies) an in-house acronym for Submersible, Test and Research. Asherah, on the other hand, was a commercial job for Dr. George Bass at the University of Pennsylvania for work out of Bodrum, Turkey and Yassi Ada (the primary dive site at the time) and was not tagged with a star number. She was built in three months flat, from the first phone call to launch, and cost $25,000, including tax, tags and dealer prep. I loved that submarine, tried hard to buy it off the dentist who had it first after Bass, couldn't do it. STAR I, built by three engineers at home (mostly) was the first modern psub in my view, as it was built at home, and was a resounding success, all things considered. It was dirt simple, compact, light weight, safe and more or less bulletproof. It was used as a General Dynamics test bed for compensated batteries, and even ran a fuel cell, briefl! y, plus did some minor contracts, and was, of course, the first in a series. Pretty cool for the day, or any day, come to think of it. Vance