RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] SCUBA Limits

Message text written by INTERNET:personal_submersibles@psubs.org
><

Hi, Brent:
        Thanks for the imput - you'd be surprised at how many 'floor
sweeping' offers we get (G). Yeah, It would seem reasonable to make the
other components of DW2000 available to shallow hull kit buyers - but my
sense is that the stuff we use is, for the most part, way too expense to
put on a shallow sub (e.g. thrusters at  $10K plus, each -4 req'd). On the
other hand, some of the touch screen electronics (auto-altitude,
auto-depth, go-to-depth - electrical monitoring, etc.,) are not inherently
expensive as board stacks, but we spent a ton of $ developing the circuits,
testing, debugging, etc., - maybe some middle ground there and in the dual
life support packages, also. My thinking was to make the hull available
with generic, removeable penetrator plates (2) (just like DW2000) and then
you can wire and plumb to suit your wallet. Use $200 modified trolling
motors, depth sounders for sonar, and the usual el cheapo route - also
making sure that you're sacrificing only capability, not safety. (Man, I
could write a book on the cheap way to do a sub!) I guess one of the
advantages of a kit and an optional component list is timing (can't afford
that foot controller now, but when I get my Xmas bonus . . .) and
compromise ( love that pneumatically-operated soft ballast exhaust, but,
Mama Mia! too much bread . . .I'll stay with manual valves) Anyhow, just
some Saturday morning thoughts - Time to get off my ass and get down to the
shop to work on the mold plug for the new EXOSUIT boot - very radical
'swimming' method, but a lot of work on the prototype.
Regards
Phil Nuytten