From: "Joseph Perkel" <joeperkel@hotmail.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] X Thruster arrangement
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:05:48 +0000

Jay,

No, I didn't forget, I've been mulling it over in my mind for a while.

As I told James, things that I invent, or have not seen in actual use, are considered un-viable until proven otherwise.

You're just reflecting my "gut" feeling here anyway, I don't know "why" either. Something about the behavior of fluids in flow bothers me in that I'm somehow likely to lose functionality with this scheme.

NR-2's circumference is too small to allow the X thruster tops to be below waterline. Increasing the angle is counterproductive. Rudder authority, will only be good in open water transits above 2 kts, so I must have full thruster control on the surface for dockside maneuverability!

Options then.....

1) Increase circumference accordingly?  Impractical!

2) Dedicated bow thruster. Only guaranteed viable option.

Thanks

Joe

I see a couple of other responses in my inbox, will get to them when I can, suddenly got a bit busy.