Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] UC3 rollout

"Peter Madsen" <peter@submarines.dk> schrieb:
> Brent,
>
> Paint...

> UC3 is different. All tanks, seawater, freshwater, fuel - all have man holes. All can be painted. All parts of the pressurehull are accessible on both sides. The whole deck on the casing is mounted with stainless bolts - and can be removed for inspection. Even the sail can be un mounted in this way. This means she can be easily maintained over the years.
>
> We use a special epoxy paint. It comes with no reactive solvents - so no gas masks are needed - and the tools can be cleaned with white spirit or even warm soap water. It is applied with a brush, and each layer gives about 400 my. Depending on the use we add different pigments - e.g. inside the boat the white paint is the epoxy with 30 % titanium dioxide - the best covering white paint I have ever used. Other places we use the paint with other pigments - depending on the environment.
> The finish is not like a car - the best name for the product would be "tank primer heavy" - but its is having very good adhesion - even on non sandblasted surfaces - and is exceptionally watertight. And in our business - that's what paint are fore.
>
> As for welding...
>
> - UC3 is almost entirely made form high tensile carbon steal - a type known as
> EN S355J2G3 - roughly similar to DIN 17100 St 52. The fact that it is indeed high tensile steal is felt when we bend it - it feels about as stubborn as stainless steal. Its is welded with a high power MIG welding machine with a thread that is

Hi Peter - congratiulation - you are quick as ever..
I have Holiday the next 3 weeks and will work mostly on the Euronaut.
But may I should come for a day or two for a beer or two to take some pictures for the group ?

And here some text about the Euronaut paint and steel.. : ;-)

Euronaut is different. All tanks, seawater, freshwater, fuel - all have man holes. All can be painted. All parts of the pressurehull are accessible on both sides. The whole deck on the casing is mounted with stainless bolts - and can be removed for inspection. Even the sail can be un mounted in this way. This means she can be easily maintained over the years.

We use a special epoxy paint. It comes with no reactive solvents - so no gas masks are needed - and the tools can be cleaned with white spirit or even warm soap water. It is applied with a brush, and each layer gives about 400 my. Depending on the use we add different pigments - e.g. inside the boat the white paint is the epoxy with 30 % titanium dioxide - the best covering white paint I have ever used. Other places we use the paint with other pigments - depending on the environment.
The finish is not like a car - the best name for the product would be "tank primer heavy" - but its is having very good adhesion - even on non sandblasted surfaces - and is exceptionally watertight. And in our business - that's what paint are fore.

As for welding...

Euronaut is almost entirely made form high tensile carbon steal - a type known as
EN S355J2G3 - roughly similar to DIN 17100 St 52. The fact that it is indeed high tensile steal is felt when we bend it - it feels about as stubborn as stainless steal. Its is welded with a high power MIG welding machine with a thread that is ..

:-))) Best regards Carsten