From: "Peter Madsen" <peter@submarines.dk>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Metal Fabrication
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:55:13 +0200

Sirs,

For the UC3 I make use of a mix of ox acetylene cutting done by hand by my self - and a company cutting with the same technique but in a CNC machine. With practice cutting steal by hand can be very precise - not CNC but nice - and very cheap. Most parts like the bulkheads and frames was hand cut for UC3 - and it was the least of my problems. I often mark up the plates using models cut from cardboard or drawings made by chalk directly on the raw steal plates.

For hull welding I use a type of MIG welding with cord this is filled with a protective material - and with Ar - CO2 mix gas protection. This method I exceptionally productive and an important reason that the project can be made. I often have to make very big welds - fusing 15 mm and 20 mm steal - and I don't have all that much time.

With these two tools - the big welder and the hand held ox acetylene cutting burner - I guess anyone can make his own IOWA class battleship - it just a matter of determination.

I must stress - that in my humble opnion - learning the basics of steal constrution is a must for a person who wish to make a submarine. To bye that service - is simply too expensive for anyone but millionaires. Its not just a pressurehull - it is hundereds of small thing that needs this
kind of qualifications.

Best Regards,

Peter Madsen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Perkel" <joeperkel@hotmail.com>