Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] viewports available online

Hello Carsten, Emile,

Your comments are always a inspiration !
Thanks a lot !

May i suggest that when you blow the dome you put a couple of sensors on it to measure movements before destruction - so this could give us an idea what that kind of dome does - just before it breaks...

Your flashlight comment makes me wonder what could happen to a dome in tropics where i am right now - 80 degrees in equatorial sun seems no beeing out of range in practical use of a yacht sub...

Cheers Wil

Quoting MerlinSub@t-online.de:

Hi Peter there is no given saftey factor in the GL classification rules just simple tables
for dummies:

All I can say that the tabels gives with a inside diameter of 550 and a tickness of 15 mm on the weakest point a divedeep of 200 meter at a temerature of 10 degrees and about 150 meter at 24 degree. And it goes down to 5 bars at 66 degrees - so make no fire in the cabin and be carefull with spotlights ! For this reason the internal 50 Watt Halogen Searchlight of Peppers should not run long on the same spot on the dome at greater deeps.

There are some limits:

- The life time is limit to 10 years,
- you should not dive or surface faster then 10 bars a second ;-)
- Not more than 10.000 dives
- Not more as 40.000 hours under pressure

But you are also right - Class required a pressure test. So wait until the test chamber for Nemo is ready. We will test Peppers and Nemo in it. Both have the same dome. And we will test the third dome
to destroy deep.. of the chamber..

It seems that the company making the dome for us yust found a way
to blow even ticker material than 40 mm to domes.

But you can have the dome also with a class-certification - just aqdd to the price given from Emile with a saftey factor of 3 or 4.. ;-o

Domes can be maybe a little cheaper if we get more orders at the same time.

best regards Carsten

"Peter Madsen" <peter@submarines.dk> schrieb:
Carsten,

Not that its any standard, but I tend to use my acrylic windows to 10 % of
destruction pressure. In the case of Krakas acryllic windows that gives us
28 meters since her type of windows tend to get a crack at 280 meters. For
UC3 the windows are three times thicker, I havent made tests yet, but I
expect destuction depth in 800 - 1200 meters range. She is build for 100
meters diving.

UC3 window mounts is made so windows can be tested to 30 % of destruction
pressure ( 300 % use depth ) in situ prior to diving.

If I put one of your fine domes in the hatch above the controlroom - I would
be very happy to know its destruction pressure - but it would look
wonderfull - and 1500 euros is very exceptionally cheap. I just don´t like
to deviate to much from the above "Madsen test standard"

Regards,

Peter