Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] VBT's & The Apology

The term "military psub" is a bit of a non-sequitur.  Military vehicles have
different objectives, different design criteria, and as you mentioned,
different safety systems, etc.  The applicability of military designs to
psubs is limited, but not non-existent.  The design of any sub which is
intended to have a fast submerged speed lends itself to the streamlined
military sub shape, regardless of its actual purpose.  In my own case, I am
working on a concept which has this shape externally, but which is in
complete compliance with ABS rules (and other civil regulatory agencies), and
outfitted for a range of missions including science support, hydrographic
survey, search and rescue / recovery, pipeline / cable inspection, salvage,
diver operations support, videography, underwater archaeology, film industry
rental and so on.  Not technically a Psub, but an example of military sub
characteristics employed in a non-military context.  I don't see why a psub
could not also incorporate some of the same design features, and in the
context of a high speed sub with lockout capability, I don't see any way of
avoiding it.

-Sean