Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] VBT's & The Apology

Sean, The SEALS do quite a lot of lock out ops from major subs, but not the commercial kids. I assume (and we all know how to spell that) that Navy regs cover it somewhere or other. Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean T. Stevenson
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Sat, 26 May 2007 1:06 pm
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] VBT's & The Apology

Vance - the comment about "enough mass" is an interesting one.  I'm still
working with this concept of a large submarine - much larger than your
typical research / commercial submersible, but smaller than most military
submarines.  Providing facilities for such a vehicle to touchdown and blow
negative is impractical, not only as an exercise in designing an appropriate
structure to handle the mechanical stresses. but also to accommodate the
necessary streamlining inherent to the military styled (high submerged speed)
design.  As militaries typically operate outside the bounds of OSHA/WCB,
DOT/TC, USCG/CCG etc, I presume that there is no provision for lockout ops
from such massive vehicles in the existing commercial regulations?  Or would
that situation fall under the regulations for bell operations, only with the
mothership being a submarine rather than a surface ship?  The concept vehicle
has full dynamic positioning capability, in addition to a three point
computer controlled anchor system.  Add to that the fact that the submarine
is massive, and lockout ops would appear to be relatively benign; however
such a vehicle does not fall neatly into existing regulatory categories.

-Sean

(In my 30's - old enough to know I don't know everything, but still young
enough not to let that stop me)