[PSUBS-MAILIST] Dolphinear hydrophone...we are NOT impressed...

Hi psubbers,

Today I got my hydrophone ! - so my first action was to rush to the harbor, get into the submarine and sail her surfaced out into the main basin of Copenhagen harbor. I plugged in my new Dolphinear Hydrophone System together and lowered it down from the deck of the submarine.

In the earphones I hear noise - loud noise. Its sounds mostly like static on a radio with no antennae - I try to adjust gain assuming that the amplifier is just very good and that its amplifying the background noise of the sea...hmm...then a big motorship comes nearer - and passes me at distance of about 20 meters. Regardless of orientation, depth and gain - there is no way that I can detect a big motor at 20 meters range. Just the same static noise. I disconnect the hydrophone to clear is this is an amplifier problem - and the noise almost disappears - I reconnect NOISE- and pull the hydrophone back up - and above water the noise is a little different.

Hm...conclusion...the device can possible detect if its submerged or not - the noise origins from the sensor - but is not correlated to anything outside the sensor - tapping on it will be heard as a change in the noise pattern...so something does work.

My example has no use in detecting anything like a ship - it could not detect my own boats propeller or engine.

If this is the last word in hydrophones...then I prefer to be deaf.

Best regards,

Peter

Jeg beskyttes af den gratis SPAMfighter til privatbrugere.
Den har indtil videre sparet mig for at få 14284 spam-mails
Betalende brugere får ikke denne besked i deres e-mails.
Hent en gratis SPAMfighter her.