From: "Joseph Perkel" <joeperkel@hotmail.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:35 PM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Contingency Planning Presentation

> Jay,  A very worthy topic of discussion. My input as follows per an
earlier off list response.

> 1) I had not considered until I read this, the potential implications of a
passenger in "full blown" panic. I see this often enough in my work in the
ICU, to recognize just how bad this could be enclosed in a metal can with
someone like that.

> In retrospect, although perhaps rare, I see how this has the real
potential to incapacitate the pilot and render the vehicle uncontrollable.
The recent astronaut incident illustrates human frailty, and the necessity
of contingency planning.

> Suggested remedies.
>
> Pre screen criteria to possibly include "dry runs" on land, with darkened
ports, pilot to "judge" response.

> Short duration "initial step down" dives, to "qualify" observers for long
duration deep dives.

> Pilot familiarity with stages of panic symptomatolagy.
>
> Any doubts, normal surface procedure

> Response to worse case scenario.
>
> Initiate emergent surfacing procedure
>
> Pilot to don or (secure) independent air supply
>
> Assume protective posture (pilot), retreat to fore / aft end away from
hatch

> Call for assistance if able
>
> Attempt "talk down"
>
> Call for assistance being the only reasonable response in my view.  Any
attempts at restraint increase the potential for injury.

> As for overhead environments, the WHOI Alvin manual is short and sweet on
the subject. Basically a form of "No way Jose"! :)

> Jay, What is an "Outfall" pipe? a sewer line? I am assuming this is big,
nasty, and something likely to be encountered in the littoral environment.

> This convention is shaping up quite nicely, I do wish I could attend.
>
> Joe

----

>   From:  "Jay K. Jeffries" <bottomgun@mindspring.com>
>   To:  <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
>   Subject:  [PSUBS-MAILIST] Contingency Planning Presentation
>   Date:  Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:31:16 -0400
>   >This didn't make it through the first time, here it is reformatted.
>   >
>   >I am working on my presentations for this summer’s conference and would
like
>   >to ask the aid of the list in attempting to develop a comprehensive
list of
>   >potential contingencies that might arise during the operation of a
PSUB.