[PSUBS-MAILIST] Construction work on 20 boat in Copenhagen,

Dear Psubbers,

Some say the best advice you can give to someone that talks about building his own submarine is - make it big - as big as you possibly can.
Many of the problems that are encountered in construction of small psubs are related to the lack of space - and the bad conditions work most be done in.
During my work on Freya back in 2001 I used to say the boat had an inbuilt torture chamber - the cramped engine room. This was not completely wrong.

By 2005 construction of a full size boat to follow the Kraka started. Unlike the two first boats we this time chose to work in a 2 meter diameter pressure
format - just enough to make stand up room - and to design for 100 meter or 300 feet operational dive depth. Total length of the ship would be just under 20 meters
and she would be designed with fuel capacity and room for supplies to cross the North Atlantic. The boat has twin diesels, a five bladed propeller - and a sail
that will place the crew four meters above the sea when crusing surfaced. The challenge to build this with in the economic frame available is formidable - but
not imposible.

One of the problems that faces a psubs designer is how to look out of the ship - how to build windows or acrylic domes that are safe and placed in a practical way ?

Freya featured windows I her front dome - a design that proved dangerous since she flooded sank in 2003 after a minor coalition. Kraka features two windows in the
front torpedo tunnel - this is nice but give a fairly complex shape of the bow - but the smart use of the torpedo openings in her Type VIIC hull shape protects the windows very well.

So windows are difficult to place and always potentially dangerous spots - Mr. Standfuss / CSSX has taken the radical decision to cut all windows and use cameras only. This is
smart, but its sad you only see things on TV in pal or NTSC resolution. On our boat no. 3 - designated UC3 - we combine windows - though only in the side of the ship - and high definition
cameras - one in the photo optic mast and one just under the bow. Today TV and flatscreen camaras with a resolution og 1080 times 1700 pixels are avalible at amateur prize - and it give awesome
beutiful sharp pictures in the controlroom

UC-3 is well into construction by spring 2007 and is expected to launch part finished in 2008. We changed the design drastically after a 2004 meeting with Mr. Standfuss - and using a smarter simpler
concept we now have a finished pressure hull, with deckcasing. Construction of ballaststanks are underway. Drawings seen on Mr. Peter Blazejewicz home page is from before this meeting - and have been
modified and moderniced ( semi USS Albacore hull form ) to allow faster construction. Mr. Blazejewicz is a very important participant in the construction process - and has been that since the very start.

The construction of her is the direct reason you will find that the Kraka is for sale - since we expect to focus on sailing the 20 meter boat with a kitchen and a shower rather than the 12.6 meter boat with no kitchen or shower. However - sailing a small boat is always fun in a different way - and perhaps sometime after UC-3 a new deep diving midget may start life in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Regards Peter Madsen

This message was sent from the controlroom of the submarine UC-3 via her radiomast.

Jeg beskyttes af den gratis SPAMfighter til privatbrugere.
Den har indtil videre sparet mig for at få 12663 spam-mails
Betalende brugere får ikke denne besked i deres e-mails.
Hent en gratis SPAMfighter her.