Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] TurnKey CO2 Scrubber Project

Hi Ross!

I presume the re-breather is the one shown on Pat's page of early projects.  I vaguely recall that, in a group discussion somewhere, years back, someone spoke of Regan with great disdain, and snidely mocked what was called a "clorox bottle" re-breather.  Personally, at the time, I remember thinking that turning household junk into scuba was actually quite clever.

Of course, I wouldn't suggest using anything of the kind in open water.  But considering that the contraption was devised decades ago as an experiment in a back yard poolside environment, the fact that it worked at all is remarkable.

Regan's unabashed frankness online may have earned him a bad boy reputation in some quarters, but most still respect the tangible accomplishments of this self-styled Captain Nemo.  And I envy that you're allowed to play with his toys!

Cheers!

Jim

Ross Donato <hawnsling@yahoo.com> wrote:

This look like a home made rebreather I saw at Pat Regan's house on the big island seven months ago.  I use it in his swimming pool and it works fine.  He made the first one 30 years ago from a plastic bottle.  Anybody can do it.  Carl Stanley uses a gym sock full of sodasorb stuffed into a piece of clothes dryer duct with a fan.  Sodasorb dust is no problem.  No need one turn key scrubber.  You just carry extra socks.  Ha! Ha!

Ross

Jon Wallace <jon@psubs.org> wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking for a couple of people who would be interested in developing
what I am calling a "turnkey" scrubber product for small one and two man
submersibles. This project will be conducted in conjunction with Micropore
Inc., the developers of ExtendAir cartridges for scuba rebreathers.

The project is to take an existing ExtendAir rebreather cannister and modify
it for use in small submersibles. A photo of the existing unit can be found
here http://www.extendair.com/scuba/scufrm.html and you'll note that it has
two 1-1/4 inch adapters for rebreathing hoses on each end. We would need to
come up with a design that would replace those ends. For example, a fan on
one end that blows into a diffuser, and the other end open to allow the
scrubbed air back into the cabin.

Micropore Inc. is willing to take our design and manufacture it so that
complete units can be purchased by the PSUBS community. One of the
advantages I see to the ExtendAir design are the scrubber cartridges. They
are easy to store and use. When you are ready to dive, pop in a cartridge
and keep a couple spares in the sub for emergencies. They don't take up
alot of room and you don't have to guess at how much chemical to pack in, or
worry about chemical dust. In an emergency situation, it would be simple to
change cartridges.

This is also an opportunity for us to work with a company in our industry to
gain stature and visibility. Participation is voluntary. Someone who has
CAD experience and could actually produce a cad drawing for the modification
would be a huge help.

Qualifications:
1) You have an interest in life support scrubbers.
2) You have time to devote to the project. Given that we will be working
with an industrial partner, I don't want this project to linger due to lack
of participation.
3) You should have an interest in mechanical design and be able to visualize
proposed modifications.
4) You should be excited about participating in the design of a new product
"just for the hell of it". Micropore will be making money off the end
design, we will have the satisfaction of claiming design for the new product
and having a well designed "plug and play" solution for home-built
submersibles.

Please contact me directly if you are interested in this project.
Jon