Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Delivery

Hi Jon. The dishes are 84 inch diameter and 3/8 inch thick. They weigh 747 lbs each and will be mated to a 6 inch tube section to give me an inside height of 52 inches. The smaller dome is the hatch lid and is 20 inches in diameter. I would like to be able to get to 300 feet deep, but probably will never get below 150 or so. The windows are the weak spot, and I'm putting in an 18 inch window directly in front with at least 2 additional windows at 12 inch diameter. one above, and one below. I may put one on each side as well.
For stiffeners, I will be using 1/4 inch by 4 inch  with a "T" shape running from the top center hatch to the bottom, alongside the window tubes. I did a rough calculation of finished weight and came up with 8400 lbs. including drop weight and 2 passengers.
I will be sizing the ballast tanks to displace enough water to give me as much free board as possible. I hope to have 24 inches of the hull above water when surfaced.
 I'm working on a design to add a concealed tractor innertube to the bottom, so that when I reach the surface, I can inflate the tube ( 72 inch doughnut ) and give it more lift.( Maybe get to 30 inches above water .) That will take some trial and error after the sub is wet to see if it can be done without destabilizing it. It will definitely lower the center of buoyancy, and may be prone to tipping ( and sinking!!!) OUCH!
The triangular ballast tanks will be stainless, and again, will be sized to get me out of the water as much as possible. I can use the plasma cutter at work to cut the blanks, and then mig weld the 4 tanks.
I considered using propane tanks as ballast tanks, but it creates too many places for things to get hung up on. My goal is to keep it as smooth as possible. I favor the round shape because I can spin it on it's own axis, and sit side by side with my passenger. I did some modeling with different shapes, and the squashed sphere is not much "less sleek" than the propane tank shape. The sketch on frappr shows a pontoon section, but I'll probably go with a full size pontoon boat so I can have more deck space. ( need room for the BBQ !) I'd like to add video inside too, but the electronics are another phase I haven't gotten to yet. Should be receiving more steel soon, and then I can post a picture of the two halves welded together and the hatch tube going in. Frank D.