From: James Devine [mailto:jmdrocks2002@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:04 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] PSUBS Scholarship

I think that is an outstanding idea.
Jim

Jon Wallace <jon@psubs.org> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am investigating the practicality of setting up a PSUBS sponsored
needs-based scholarship fund that we could award each year to some student
entering into or engaged within oceanographic studies. Funds for such
scholarship would come from PSUBS as well as outside sources such as private
individuals and corporate sources.

I have not yet investigated any tax or transfer issues, however ignoring
such things for the moment I would like this to be an international award
since our participants (and hopefully funding) come from many different
countries.

Aside from funding, I think the recipient should be selected by a small
group of three to five volunteers from our group who would review
applications and make the final selection based upon criteria to be
developed. PSUBS would make contact with various colleges and universities
to get the word out to prospective applicants.

The target for the first year's scholarship (maybe Sept 2007) would be
$1,000.00. As of today, there are 272 recipients to this discussion list.
If only 200 of us gave $5/each, we'd easily make the target so you can see
the feasibility of such a project. I realize this is a small amount of
money for college-bound students in the 21st century, but since I don't know
what the response is going to be I need to start with a small goal. If we
received more funding, we could either give out a bigger scholarship or
multiple scholarships of smaller amounts.

In return for donations, PSUBS could post names of donators (unless they
request anonymity) on a "scholarship" web page that will be created, and we
could post logos of corporate sponsors.

Again, this is just an investigative query to determine the level of
interest in this project by the rest of you out there. If you would be
interested in contributing financially to this project, and/or serving on a
committee to select a recipient, please respond. If you do not want to
respond to the entire mailing list, please feel free to respond to me
directly at jon@psubs.org and let me know your thoughts. If you know of a
potential corporate sponsor, please send that info as well.

Comments welcome.

Jon