Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] autonomous concrete submarine operation

Carsten, Oystein, Juergen, listeners...

To nail down the details we have to be clear what is the VISION.

I think what we all found is that doing investigation in the oceans is limited
more than anything else by the BASE you can work from.

This is why carsten is building an AUTONOMOUS submarine dive base of 70 tons.
Which is the most advanced project we know about.

But think about it - 70 tons of displacement is 70m3 of living space that you
have to share between crew, equipment, machinery, dive instalations, cientific
equipment, dry/wet rooms etc... can you do that and live there - for several
months without going for a port? - probably not.

What you need is a oceangoing submarine living and working space - so if you
could forget the limits - how big must this space be?

... more or less the size of 15-20 m yacht? - more ?

how can you reduce the operation cost of such a space to a minimum ?

Basicly this problem is the same as oil drilling has - how do you get a
autonomous drilling operation at sea...to big to get it out and painted like a
boat once a year...

What are the operation cost to have a giant concrete structure parked at sea ?
(cero - if you don´t have to take it out for painting and other maintainance and
don´t need a marina - can resist any weather - a submarine could !) -

How much material you need to build such a thing ? what is the cheapest and most
durable material you can imagine for such a purpose ?

What if you build such a hull in a country where work is cheap and ship it to
europe for finishing - if it would be big enough you can live and work on board ?

What if you would not finance such a project from your own pocket but find a
group of investors - sharing the same vision - sharing the risks - being linked
to the project - by company shares - see CENTRAL AMERICA project as a model.

If you could offer a 2000m diving autonomous sub with ROV oceancrossing -
selling investigation time -  to scientist - oil operations - salvatage -
goverment - tourism - private - would capitan nemos nautilus be a profitable
business - traveling round the world from job to job... could we nail down a
"business plan" to convince investors ?

What kind of team you would need to move it forward? Could we assamble such a
project over internet ?

How would you do the marketing for such an operation ?

Let me hear your thoughts...

Kindest Regards,
Wilfried