From: "Jon Wallace" <jon@psubs.org>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Great Update on the old K-250 sub in Sandpoint
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 19:06:48 -0500

Brent,

I'll ask George if he put any identifying marks in his subs.  He was pretty clear the last time that he hadn't built this particular sub, but if it was modified at a later date he might not recognize it as such.  As you suggest, an identifiable marking would clear up the mystery.  I'm curious though....the current owner doesn't know the history of the sub?  Who did he buy it from?  How did it end up where it is today?  I may have missed that information.

Regarding the Kittredge sub plans, it's true that some elements of them such as the motors and controllers could be replaced with newer technology such as minn-kota and 21st century electronics.  The value of both the K-250 and K-350 plans are that the structural elements are timeless, and both sets of plans were certified by various agencies such as ABS, Lloyds of London, and Nippon.  So from the perspective of a habitat that is going to safely bring you to the rated depth and back again, they are still well worth the price George is asking for them.

We are currently preparing to work with someone on transfer of the original Kittredge drawings to CAD format, including 3D modeling.  This is being coordinated with George who still holds the copyright on the K-subs design and plans.  Your project of taking digital measurements sounds very interesting, but if any part of the sub has been modified or not built exactly to plan the resulting models would not be identical to the original drawings.  It sounds like you enjoy 3-D modeling so just from a winter project perspective it sounds like you'll have a good time taking the measurements and converting the data.  It would certainly be interesting to see a "how it's put together" movie.  PSUBS is committed to protecting Kittredge's copyright so we'd just have to be careful how such information was shared/distributed.

Jon

Jon I don't know if George Kittredge would be interested in taking a look at these new pictures or not to help use identify this little sub, but if he is, we would love to know if this was one of his 12 that was later modified a bit.  It would be good to know if he put any kind of markings or serial numbers on them.  I've looked a fair bit, but so far I don't see any thing. I know the interior is in sad shape, but take heart that we plan to remedy that. Some one left the hatch open and water got inside some time back. I'd like to know what year this submersible was built. I don't have Kittredge book for identifying some of the K subs, so perhaps I should get one.

 I plan to take hundreds of measurements using digital caliper of this sub and render it in Solidworks CAD to show all the parts and details inside and out. I could also do that for the K-350 model. I was thinking that if I do that with one or both models, then that CAD data and drawings created from them can be added to the plans sold in the PSUB.org store.  Anyone that got the plans could see a 3D animated file on every single part as well at the main assembly and the sub-assembly's in a small program that can be downloaded for free.  I've heard that the existing plans may have some parts that now have a more modern practical alternitive that could be changed in the new CAD models. Perhaps the Persistence could be used to base a new set of K-350 plans from. From that data a animated video could be made to show the parts going on step by step until you have a complete final assembly. I think I'm finally done now, sorry about the long war and peace emails.

************************************************************************ ************************************************************************ ************************************************************************ The personal submersibles mailing list complies with the US Federal CAN-SPAM Act of 2003. Your email address appears in our database because either you, or someone you know, requested you receive messages from our organization. If you want to be removed from this mailing list simply click on the link below or send a blank email message to: removeme-personal_submersibles@psubs.org Removal of your email address from this mailing list occurs by an automated process and should be complete within five minutes of our server receiving your request. PSUBS.ORG PO Box 53 Weare, NH 03281 603-529-1100 ************************************************************************ ************************************************************************ ************************************************************************