RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Steel Pipe Hull

I agree with your figures. But it's interesting to note that the K boats have stiffeners right on the ends of the cylindrical sections. I guess Kittredge went for the extra insurance since the transition is such a critical area.

Alec

________________________________

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org on behalf of Adam Lawrence
Sent: Mon 1/29/2007 8:55 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Steel Pipe Hull

May I chime in?

The ABS calculations work for hulls that do not have ring stiffeners and are geared toward finding the most efficient combination of all the variables. In the case of no ring stiffeners, (along with the case of having ring stiffeners), the heads on either end of the hull (or pipe) act like stiffeners. There is a picture of this on page 78 in the ABS rules. The center to center spacing becomes the distance between the heads at a distance of 0.4 times the inside head height. For example, ¼ thick heads that are 10 inches in diameter have an inside head height of 3.88 inches with a 1.5 inch flange. The center of the head stiffener is located 3.052 inches from the face of the head (0.4*3.88) +1.5. If the center to center spacing of the stiffeners is 60 inches, the actual hull (pipe) length will be around 54 inches. The abs rules cover three failure modes, one of which says that a long un-stiffened cylinder is a bad idea, unless it ok to be thick and heavy.

Adam