RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fiberglass Hull

I second that. While it's theoretically easy to just add or remove weights, we're not taking just a few pounds. For instance, if you need to re-ballast a 4,500 lb sub because your last dive was in a lake and now you're diving in the ocean, you'll have to add 160 lbs. And if your crew-mate wakes up sick that morning, add another 160 lbs or however much the person weighs. My ideal solution would be to have enough VBT to compensate for these things so I can deal with it just by opening a valve.

Alec

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Joseph Perkel
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 5:20 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fiberglass Hull

Mark,

Brainstorming is indeed...."a good thing".

'However.... if you wanted a lightweight sub, i.e. trailer able, there
>might be a great advantage in moving the sub, and attaching weight
>on site."

.....Deja vu for me here. This was a thought that I had with my original "Octopus"ambient...

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=269116&pid=1489776&myphotos=1

....which with her rounded shape, would have required composite construction and, as Dan pointed out, significant lead compensation. The detachable weight idea did occur to me as well as the fact that it would also require transport.....just too much to deal with.

Anyone who has ever owned a trailer able sailboat, will tell you that stepping the mast gets old real fast.

Joe