To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 5:32 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ring Thruster Data

I had originally hoped I could get one of the Schilling thrusters but when they became unavailable I also was thinking of trying to design and build my own. But I didn't really wanting to do that. My first thoughts were of a sealed brush-less motor turning a gear that would then turn a round gear that was in the outer housing around the blades. Since there would likely be oil or water in an around the round gear it would have an effect in the way of resistance, unless I could make a sealed air section around the gears. Even so the over all design may very well be more efficient then a traditional prop style.

I found a quote from my friend that helped design the Schilling ring thrusters girlfriend. Scott moved way down to Texas and so I haven't seen him in a while, so I'll have to email him an get some better data.

"What I understand of it is that there are magnetic plates circling the outside perimeter with wire coil. The electromagnetic field generated causes the blades on the inside diameter to spin.

Oh, it only cost them a couple million for the design. Granted, they bought the concept from some Russian company.

Mudpuppy says:
I thought they had serious financial problems.

Rebecca - says:
No, they only had financial problems when the French-based company Alstom decided to sell the US branch of their companies, Alstom Schilling Robotics included. Mr. Schilling bought back his company

The prototype was designed in Russia during the late stages of Cold War. Scott and 2 other engineers made it work.

"A unique urethane casting, believed to be one of the first ever to be co-molded with stainless steel, helps reduce the Weight and cost and increase the life of an undersea robot. The Quest ROV from Alstom Schilling Robotics (Davis, California) was originally designed to perform deep-water construction, inspection and maintenance tasks for Offshore oil operations. At the heart of the Quest's propulsion system is a 7.5-kilowatt electric ring thruster, which replaces the hydraulically powered thrusters typically used On ROVs. Schilling engineers originally ordered cast urethane blades as prototypes, planning to switch to aluminum or
Injection molded plastic."   end of quote

I'm starting a CAD model now of some of my design ideas for a ring thruster in Solidworks so if you like I can show you what what I'm thinking. I would love to have your imput as well as even put your design ideas into a 3D model if you like.

Brent Hartwig     freezing in north Idaho