Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:41 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] No more batts on psubs?

Hi Rick. You're friend is right. There must be some sort of chain release or limiter in these new capacitors, as to provide extended energy release. (Sounds too good. Hope it works.)
There's another car company, making a lot of news lately. They are also located in Calif. down by Ojai, called Phoenix motors.
They have some good backers, and are producing ( maybe? ) a really nice set of plug-in electric cars. Tesla's are all sold (pretty much had to be somebody or have a lot of money to get one of those ) and the '32 is $100K so more of the same!
The point is, Lots of money has been spent on battery technology and we're beginning to see the results!
I posted a note some time back on psubs about the new Li-Ion batteries relating to extended run times, increased cycles, and higher storage to weight ratios.
There are a number of companies developing these, but not many actually "on" the market.
The Phoenix  Co. is using a '32 Ford Phaeton kit car in one of their models.(very cool) and a custom pick-up truck.
I think their main push is for fleet service mini-pickups and maybe taxis. Check their web-site. Kinda cool.
Anyway, the batteries sound expensive but really good over the life of them.
One outfit called Valence has some available, but doesn't do retail sales. I'll keep looking, and if I find something good, or maybe a source for these, I'll post it.
As for ultra-caps......never heard of 'em.
Let me look into it.
Thanks for the info. I hope to order my steel tomorrow,wish me luck, "Off On Another Adventure"......Frank D.