RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] hydraulic drive idea

Chad,

I had to wear earplugs daily for years around the hydraulic systems on a submarine.  If I had pursued a graduate degree in acoustics, my focus would have been on reducing this noise for the Navy for our nuke submarines.  Instead I elected to go out and make some money.  The hydraulic noise in a small submersible quickly gets unbearable.

Place regular off-the-shelf motors in a metal housing with mechanical or flexible seals.  Later K-subs went to this method and moved away from trolling motors.  For the size of your submersible, you are going to need big motors and lots of batteries for any duration.  There is a method to calculate cross-sectional area and skin area to calculate the necessary HP for a given speed.  Shaft, flex-joint, seal, and prop losses also have to be added to this along with an additional HP% for safety.  Pick up some naval architecture books and they will assist you with this.  You will find that you will have to tow or carry your submersible out to most dive sites as the batteries have limited range.

R/J2

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
  -
Aristotle