Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Law and Sub

I have asked this question several times over the years, and found no American agency which governs psubs. On the other hand, where you go with your sub can make a difference. Some waters are protected by marine sanctuary laws and even scuba diving is restricted. I know that Greece won't allow anyone to dive in large parts of their waters. Mexico has some areas off limits, and probably Florida as well. I read recently that Silvercrest Submarines had one of their subs confiscated for diving near the Galapagos islands. I think they leased it to some individuals and as I recall, the Silvercrest people were being detained while the lessee was allowed to leave. I'm also guessing that if you have a sub in the harbor, someone from the government is going to ask a lot of questions. We need to make sure we have all the required safety equipment and documentation available so we don't get our subs impounded.
I think that the recent emphasis on port security will make it more difficult to enjoy a psub. Surely they would be great for smuggling drugs or immigrants or something, and that's bound to make the authorities curious. These are just some thoughts I've had. Perhaps some of the more experienced members have some first hand experience with this and will share any advice or stories they have. If I hear of anything along these lines, I'll post it.
Frank D.