Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] More Dehumidifier

Did some quick calculations with data from Google
average person expels around 500-600 grams per hour with low-moderate activity.
Air at 30 degrees C 100%RH the air has about 30 grams of water
and at 10 Degrees C it will have 10g of water at 1 atm per meter^3
it make up the difference you will need to remove 20grams for the air per m^3 and
600g for the person.

at a 40 % absorption rate for the Silica gel you will need 1.5 kg or 3.3Lbs of Silica gel per person per hour to maintain 100%RH

note the human body can sweat out 3 Liters per hour or about 3 Kg's per hour in that case you will need 8Kg of gel or 18 pounds

So Silica gel 5 LBS  for around $20.00 and a 12V box fan
Oven cook it and reuse it

I like it

Andy Jensen

---- George Slaterpryce <gslaterp@hotmail.com> wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think that you can dispense with the sodium polyacrylate.

Natural condensation can be captured in a well or bottle of some sort and doesn't necessarrily have to be held in a gel like form. The sodium polyacrylate would work wonders in a filter situation (I.E. made part of a normal air filter device) but if you're going to build a purpose built dehumidifier, then all you need to do is chill the surfaces you want to have condensation and then capture the water resulting from that in a well later. Again, it wouldn't have to be as powerful as an air conditioning unit, just cooling enough to keep it's internal condensation catalyst surfaces cool.

George H. Slaterpryce III
www.captovis.com