Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 6:08 PM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ANDROS VISIBILITY

Alec,

Pleasure to speak with you once again.  While Andros Is. is the largest island in the Bahamas, it is the least populated, little tourism, few facilities (other than the joint US/UK Naval facility where I reside), and rather desolate.  It is probably for these reasons why I have come to love the area so much.  There are over 250 Blue Holes on land and in the ocean (inland Blue Holes are not conducive to sub ops), the third largest reef in the world runs for ~140 miles down our Eastern coast, and there is a 6000 foot wall that breaks at 70-90 feet of water just a short ways offshore in many places along the coast.  As a plus there is very little current, often great visibility 100-200+ feet, and always warm water.  On the negative side, there is generally a strong, constant wind out of the Southeast to East which complicates marine operations with a short period chop that can often range 5-6 feet just outside of the reef due to the short fetch of the wind.  Best diving and general wind conditions (other when we are threatened with the occasional hurricane) is during the summer months.

Logistics for PSUB operations here are not great.  Most boat ramps are shallow making sub launch difficult.  The main island road is rather rough in most places.  Electrical power supply is not clean and can be iffy.  Freight ferry out of Dania, FL (just south of Ft. Lauderdale) to the island can be problematic (took 3 months to get my boat and truck over before we had access to the military barge out of Port Canaveral, FL).  Local Customs bureaucracy and pocket lining (both of which have supposedly been curtailed) can make life difficult when importing something.  There has recently been inaugurated a direct flight from Ft. Lauderdale to the island on Continental?s regional provider Gulfstream but is rather expensive ($400 to $800).  The alternative is to fly through Nassau.  Accommodations in the few local resorts or hotels is spartan and expensive.  There are only 1 or 2 operational scuba air compressors available to the public outside of the Base.

If you were to visit the island as my guest, you would fly over on a space available basis on the CSC?s chartered 19-seat plane for $42 round-trip, the equivalent of a motel room on the Base if we can?t find a spare empty room runs $31/night, and 3 meals a day in our cafeteria totals $10.  The wall/reef is 0.64 nm from our ramp which would be very serviceable at high tide.  The reef is further offshore in most other areas along the cost  The dive club on Base has three 17 ft. Whalers with 40 & 50 HP engines which would make great tenders.  Air is also available and we make our own dependable electricity.  There are a variety of other craft that would be willing to support sub ops.  Bahamian Customs is much easier for us to deal with than the general populace visiting the Bahamas.  Not sure what G&G Shipping (out of Dania) price is for shipping these days; it is based on square feet of deck space and may take into account weight also (my truck was ~$600).  From my previous description, the trailer would be mandatory.  I believe I can host a non-family member for up to 2 weeks at a stretch and up to 60 days in a year, foreign nationals can be an issue.  Unique opportunities that are available at times is a trip out to a submarine (BIG) on the transfer boat (no tours) and/or a helo tour down island/down range on our large torpedo recovery helo.

Hope this long expose answers everyone?s questions.

As to sub ops in SE Florida, if you wanted to dive the great reef off of West Palm to Boynton Beach, at times you might need as much as 6 kts. Speed to safely operate in the current.

R/Jay

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Adros Is., Bahamas