Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Crush Depth Calculation.

Hello psubbers. First I would like to thank Les in Michigan for the wonderful day we spent together looking at his sub, and talking about design issues and the psub group in general.
Les: had any buyers for your sub yet?
Next, I was wondering about the formula for calculating crush depth on a given design. If anyone has info on the parameters and the formula to use, it would be greatly appreciated.
Third: I am looking for a semi-hemisphere tank end at 30 inch diameter and 1/2 inch thick ( in USA ) or maybe Canada. I have done a lot of searching on the web but the only source I've found is a boiler shop in Los Angeles  that can get me one made of segmented sections ( 5 pieces ) and the cost is $784 just for the pieces, not welded. That seems a little high.
A tank head manufacturer in Texas has one at 24 Inch diameter and 5/8 inch thick, one piece hot formed in a die, for $340 but it's a little small. He said that was the biggest die he had. I have sent numerous e-mail quote requests to other manufacturers but have not received any other replies. I think not many companies want to sell just one tank head.
I saw that " L.A. Boiler is on the sources list but haven't received a response from them.
Anyone have any other sources for a one piece hemisphere at 30 inch diameter and at least 1/2 inch thick?
Thanks to all the people for the help you've given since I joined. I've never felt snubbed by any "elitist group " and have learned so much.
Damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead with my life long dream of having my own sub!
Frank Dalgleish. Santa Cruz, California. E-mail- shellydalg@aol.com