Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hull material

Heh heh heh  ;-)    I continue to impress myself.

Ocktooalley, there are more pages to the paper than I remembered.  Of course I have to scan the blasted thing.  Wouldn't you know it . . . I found the paper within 30 seconds in my files.  I can't even claim it was in some cardboard box in the attic.

Here are some figures to have you guys salivate over before I scan it sometime over the weekend:
  • the feasibility study used the existing steel hulled Dolphin for comparison.
  • operational depth was set at 400 feet, test at 617 feet, accident at 800 feet (2x operational).  I believe the continental shelf averages around 600 feet.
  • speed at 12 knots
  • outside diameter 18 feet, LOA at 166 feet, surface draft at 16 feet and submerged displacement at 930 long tons
  • displacement of existing Dolphin was apparently 930 tons
  • hull thickness was a minimum of 6 inches, maximum of 11 inches
  • pressure hull was to consist of a series of rings seated into each other to make up the length of the sub - stacked donuts
Schematics include the usual elevation and plan views, sectionals, end caps, methods of attachment, and a construction schedule.

Forget it.  I'm sticking to Magical Child.  And if I'm REALLY smart I'll stay in water no deeper than 200 feet.  That's usually as far as I get before I start offering fish my regulator.

Rick L