Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] mag clutches

There is no water exposed shaft bearing on the motor end. A magnet that turns a magnet , and there is a physical nonmagnetic, waterproof barrier [some are stainless, some are various plastic] that seperates the magnets. The inside magnet is attached to the motor, the oustside runs on whatever bearing you want to use as long as they can flood, as they ride with the prop. They are lubed by whatever fluid runs through the system, in our case water.. I pay anywhere from 100 to 500 dollars for a set up. I understand the waterseal on a farrallon costs $85.... At great great depths your plastic barrier may break, use a metal one. Thin aluminum plate works just fine and is easily machined/hacksawed into the shape needed to mate to your motor housing.