Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] viewports

Maybe make the lens and then measure it hot and cold, then machine the viewport housing to the hot dimension and get the right size o ring for whatever the gap there is.

Bri
----- Original Message -----
From: Dan H.
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 20:03
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] viewports

Yep!  Plexiglas is a trade name for Acrylic.

Some one wrote that you should get a copy of PVHO.  It's a good idea if you can get a look at it.  In there, you'll find the answers to most of your questions.

The one thing that PVHO didn't answer for me was how to deal with thermal expansion of the acrylic lens.  It's a great set of standards to design with if your viewport is in a pressure chamber in a building, but a sub viewport can be exposed to 130 degrees F in or better in the hot sun and 30 degrees F in cold water.  Mine has already seen that extreme.  If I followed the PVHO exactly, my external O-ring seal would now be stuffed in the annulus between the lens and the viewport housing after my deep water test in cold water.

Dan H.