Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ID this photo

This is just a guess, but I would suspect they help prevent fouling.

Stan

In a message dated 12/3/2005 8:44:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, empiricus@telus.net writes:
I believe they're to add extra stability to the planes.  Maybe an embarassing afterthought?

Rick L.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 12:43 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ID this photo

Can anyone confirm the purpose of the cable stays on the bow planes of this S-Class sub?

The S-class had retractable bow planes, but I have found nothing to indicate a cable system for retraction and extension. I know the later fleet boats used hydraulic actuators but, this is an intriguing possibility for a homebuilt.

Joe