Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dan, Rick, Bill, Myles, Carsten

Joseph Perkel wrote:

> Here is what started the trouble for me in the first place, this
> replica of the S-44 boat.
>
> http://www.fastkayak.com/s44.html

Beautiful project, isn't it?

> When I saw this, I wondered if it would be technically feasible to
> build a similar fully submergible ambient design of the same
> materials. At first I had big ideas but reality dictates a different
> approach.

I've had the same sort of idea in mind for several years.  I call it
a diving boat: it's always positively buoyant, and it dips underwater
using the planes only.  There might be some ballast taken in to
reduce the freeboard, but in general it's a surface ship.  Done
right, and kept to a minimum depth, it might not need any
electric motors.

My choice of hull was a Laurenti design from 1912.  It became
the G-4, and was an unstable piece of trash, but the shape is what
attracted me.  It's long and low, and has a small conning tower.
My second choice of hull was taken from the German Type IX.
That has a wide flat deck, just right for deck chairs in a 1/10th
replica.

Mike