Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hard / soft ballast tanks.

Hmm, so do people use a pressure compensating system to keep the ballast tanks pressurized to ambient? Otherwise, depending on when this theoretical tank valve is closed, the ballast tank might be overpressured by ascending, or compressed by descending.  ??

My understanding was that a hard tank was an independent pressure vessel strong enough to take the pressure changes between the surface and max operating depth.  No?

thanks for any help-
Paul