Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2005 21:37
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Propane tanks

My propane tank sub has been to 300 feet. One thousand gallons, 4 by 10 feet, 1/2 in thick cylinder with 5/8 inch end caps. No reinforcing rings.
Peter K.

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:06:40 -0400 "Akins" <lakins1@tampabay.rr.com> writes:
Hi Myles.

I would definately consider one for an ambient, but no way for a 1 atm. There was some discussion here a long time ago about

how the tank's holding internal propane pressure did not necessarily cross over to keeping pressure out the same way. I can't recall

what was said though, but I remember it was discussed. Some guys have built them (1 atm) and I have seen some for sale made from propane

tanks. But I'd want a thicker hull for a 1 atm if it was me. I wouldn't trust a propane tank hull, even with reinforcement rings.

I mean, if you are going to build a 1 atm with all the trouble it takes....you might as well make it where it can go relatively deep and build it with a thick pressure hull

and get down 600 feet or more. Most of the good non picked over wrecks are deeper than scuba depths because the divers have already picked most of them over.

Most wrecks (okay not all) at scuba depths have already been found too and there isn't much to discover new unless you go beyond scuba depths.

But for an ambient? Like I said I think it would be great for that for all the reasons you listed. I think it would be very durable for an ambient and if

you are still contemplating building an ambient, that would be an inexpensive way to go.

Bill.