[PSUBS-MAILIST] Ship reefing for tourism

Title: [PSUBS-MAILIST]  Ship reefing for tourism
HI all,

Not every old ship is destined for the scrappers...

apart from dreams of building subs I have actually been carefully extracting parts of an old warship to preserve the rest of it as an artificial reef of the coast of Wellington, New Zealand.

This project has taken me 6 years and we are now less than a month away from sinking a Batch 3 Leander Class Frigate, complete with her guns...

see        www.divewreck.co.nz

If you want to stay in touch and keep posted on the days leading up to and preceding the sinking....

email    <subscribe@divewreck.co.nz>

Next mission is to build a sub and go play on it and the many others shown on our website.

Kind Regards

Marco

Scrap value is the value after the labor of reducing it to bite size chunks has been paid and the cost of a dry-dock to dismantle it in has been taken out also.   Steel is expensive to buy, but scrap isn't bringing that much.

As far as making it sea worthy, they may need a lot of retrofits to bring them to today's seaworthy requirements.  Even as a museum, they may need updates to make them safe for the public to go through.

Lets face it, there destine for the scrappers torch like so many subs and ships before them..

Dan H.