From: Brian Cox
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 11:49 AM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] round cylinder process

Hi All,
             I have just recently meet a potential new psubber just down the street from me through my 11 year old daughter's playmate.  Her dad has all the makings of a sub enthusiast.  (and he's going to maybe let me use some of his equipment !! lathe, welders, mill..etc  !! )

Anyway he was telling me about a process used in producing cylinders like torpedo tubes where they are made perfectly round using a giant form that is punched in the middle of a molten sheet of metal and stretched around it.   Then a some sort of series of rollers forms the cylinder into a perfectly round shape.  In this process there is no seam which is welded long-ways down the cylinder.

If one could find some of these Navy surpluses cylinders that were the right size,  and the grade of steel determined, they might be able to be used for a psub.

Does anyone know of this process?  It may not be absolutly nessesary for a psub but it really addresses that roundness issue.

Brian - Ventura CA