Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hp vs hp

Ah, right.  I see what Captain Kittredge and Michael are talking about.

The rating given to a combustion engine is it's maximum peak horse
power (it's a marketing thing to sell more cars).  When using a car,
you don't get peak power all the time, just for short bursts, most
of the time you're using a 1/2 to 1/3 of the power.  Also, you can't
go above this rating without modifying the engine (adding turbo
chargers, and other engine mods).

The rating given to electric motors is normally it's continous
duty power output - i.e. what it should be used for most of the
time.  But, the electric motor is capable of a lot more peak
power output, say around x2 to x3 (depends on the motor, some
are less than x2) for short periods of time.

I read this on a website for converting cars to electric.

Ian.