From: Alec Smyth
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 6:36 PM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Underwater Communication

Dan,

By all accounts the best UW communications gear seems to be the OTS unit. Here's a link http://www.oceantechnologysystems.com/ssb_2010.shtml. Dan Lance uses these and swears by them. They regularly show up on eBay for maybe $500 or so per unit. Of course you need two, one for the sub and one for the boat. If money were no object, support divers could also be equipped with them, and everyone could talk to everyone else.

I bought an alternative which is the same technology but a little less powerful and which is push-to-talk instead of voice activated; www.divelink.net (follow products link to surface unit). I paid $660 for a pair on ebay. Certainly I would prefer the OTS ones, but this was a financial compromise.

After having used these comms, I agree 100% with what Dan had told me... he considers this to be essential safety gear.

cheers,

Alec