To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 5:32 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Underwater Communication

Dan
When you are at seneca lake doing you test if you have
any problems.
Lake diver is here in ny now (elmira) and can be there
to help in less than 2-3 hr
also id love to come up when you are here and check
out "Persistence."  When are you going to be there
heck we could bring lake diver along and have a race
Take care
john

--- "Dan H." <jmachine@adelphia.net> wrote:

For a quick up date on my sub "Persistence."

I revamped my thruster controls to what they should
have been in the first place.  I had relatively
light relays controlling the motors.  After many
hours of use they started sticking, both on and off.
 Pretty scary when you're spinning around in a
marina next to docked hundred thousand dollar boats.
 I was going to switch to solid state but decided to
stick with mechanical relays, only use heavier ones.
 It's fine now.

I've been diving the sub in relatively shallow water
for a year.  Finally, I'm going to do a deep water
test.  It's time to get out-a-da baby pool and
in-ta-da the big pond.   In a week and a half we're
supposed to take Persistence up to Seneca Lake in
New York State and do an unmanned deep water test.
It's going to be weighted thirty pounds positive to
go to 550 feet on a line.  After sitting on the
bottom for an hour, a second smaller line is pulled
to release sixty pounds of weight and Persistence
now thirty pounds negative, will come back to the
surface......if all goes as planned.  If it doesn't,
well, we won't think about that right now.

Ah yes, Underwater communication!   I have a request
of you electronic types.

I have been researching several methods of
communication between my sub and the surface. There
are three methods I came up with.

One is to have a radio transceiver, VHF or CB type,
in the sub and a coax cable to the surface with an
antenna on a float.
It's relatively cheap but there is the drawback of
the cable dangling in the water to get caught in a
thruster.  Also, I've been told that after running
through 350 feet of cable there won't be much of a
signal radiating from the antenna. Another drawback
is coax cable is big and bulky to store on a reel on
the back of a small sub.

Method two is almost the same as method one except
with an intercom in the sub and a twisted pair of
very small wires going to the surface.  The unit is
also cheap and it has the advantage of very small
wires going to a surface float so 350 feet of cable
will store easily, but to communicate, a surface
boat has to actually get to the float and plug in
their half of the intercom.  Also, there is still
the chance to get the wire wrapped up in a thruster.

Now for the big bucks!  The proper way to do it is
to have an acoustic type underwater telephone.  I
have tried to transmit from the sub with a walkie
talkie and it's good until you get about two feet
deep. The radio frequency electrical signal gets
absorbed into the water and that's the end of the
contact.  An acoustic telephone uses high frequency
sound waves instead of electromagnetic waves as a
carrier.  Since sound transmits through water quite
well, they work fine.

I know there are commercial systems out there to be
purchased, but for a personal sub, they're way high
in price.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a
system for communicating that might be in a P-sub
price range or, is there anyone out there that has
the know how to design a system that can be built by
someone with a little bit of electronic knowledge
and a soldering iron.

Captain Kittredge had an acoustic system designed
and they built a few of them.  I understand they
worked reasonably well but that was thirty years
ago.  With the advances in electronics, most of the
components he used could probably be replaced with a
few IC's.

Does anyone know of a reasonable priced system out
there or, is anyone knowledgeable in this area and
willing to take on the challenge of designing
something.  I'll do the building but I just don't
know what to build.

Thanks for listening, Dan H.

http://mail.yahoo.com

our server receiving your request.