Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rocket powered submarine, etc

Hi Alan,

Hydrogen is generaly a bad thing in submarines. It it
explosive.

Gary Boucher gave a wonderful review of his Sonar
dissertation at the 2004 PSUBS Convention. His power
point presentation is at
http://www.psubs.org/convention/2004/presentations/garyBoucher/Sonar_Presentation.ppt
and his lecture was recorded and available on DVD at
the PSUBS Store as part of the 2005 PSUBS Convention
set of DVD's.

Others have mounted fish finders to their subs as a
simple sonar.

Regards,
Ray

--- C & L Hendkids <hendkids@oregontrail.net> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>     An idea that has been bouncing around in my head
> for a little while is a rocket-powered submarine.
> Well, not quite, as you'll see. Hydrogen and oxygen
> (obtained from the water) would be injected into a
> chamber and then ignited with a spark, which would
> then make the hydrogen and oxygen blast toward the
> aft end of the chamber, turning a turbine, and
> providing power to the prop. The hydrogen and oxygen
> would be injected at intervals into the chamber so
> that the turbine would not spin apart, and also
> because a rocket engine (especially this type) is
> about 3000 times more powerful than a gasoline
> engine of equal weight. Because it would be running
> from H and O drawn from the water, it
> would/could/should never run out of fuel. A machine
> would be on board the submarine to separate the two
> gasses. Oh, and rocket engines may reach as much as
> 6000°F (3300°C)!!!
>     I know that this question was asked once before,
> but how much air does one adult human need in an
> hour?
>     I am currently designing a 65 foot long 1 ATM
> sub with a ten foot outside diameter, and carrying
> 8-10 passengers, capable of going to 300 or maybe
> even 600 feet, in the basic design of the big
> nuclear subs- cigar/blimp-shaped. Any ideas to how
> much it would cost?
>     Carsten- what are the specs on your big sub:
> weight, length, crew/passenger capacity, submerged
> time, speed, etc. Did you build a smaller sub first?
> I'm mostly interested in multi-person subs, but all
> subs are intrigueing.
>     Has anyone on this mailing list made a sonar
> setup?
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

Yahoo! Sports