Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rocket powered submarine, etc

Hi guys,
    An idea that has been bouncing around in my head for a little while
is a rocket-powered submarine. Well, not quite, as you'll see. Hydrogen
and oxygen (obtained from the water)
would be injected into a chamber and then ignited with a spark, which
would then make the hydrogen and oxygen blast toward the aft end of the
chamber, turning a turbine, and
providing power to the prop. The hydrogen and oxygen would be injected
at intervals into the chamber so that the turbine would not spin apart,
and also because a rocket engine
(especially this type) is about 3000 times more powerful than a gasoline
engine of equal weight. Because it would be running from H and O drawn
from the water, it would/could/should
never run out of fuel. A machine would be on board the submarine to
separate the two gasses. Oh, and rocket engines may reach as much as
6000°F (3300°C)!!!
    I know that this question was asked once before, but how much air
does one adult human need in an hour?
    I am currently designing a 65 foot long 1 ATM sub with a ten foot
outside diameter, and carrying 8-10 passengers, capable of going to 300
or maybe even 600 feet, in the basic design
of the big nuclear subs- cigar/blimp-shaped. Any ideas to how much it
would cost?
    Carsten- what are the specs on your big sub: weight, length,
crew/passenger capacity, submerged time, speed, etc. Did you build a
smaller sub first? I'm mostly interested in
multi-person subs, but all subs are intrigueing.
    Has anyone on this mailing list made a sonar setup?

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan for the Rocket-sub search the internet for "walter submarine"
Or walter v 80  - first unit runs 1939.

my main spec was:

- beam not more than 2,5 M (8,2 feet) for road transport
- heaviest part not more than 30 ts for lorry transport.
- endurance one week for a crew of four
- dive deep and diver lock-out for 250 meter (820 feet)
- seagoing without surface ship
- speed on the surface at 8-9 knots for 500 sm.
- any cave, volume accessible for maintance
- no seawater pipes inside the ship.

And yes I build first a one-man sub.

The material for a 65 x 10 feet passenger sub without any building hours
or any licence build as Psub with maybe some second hand material would
be estimate around 300.000 USDollar. If you order it from a company you
have to spend one zero more.

best regards Carsten