Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ballast valve

Dan, I take it you've got a K-350 of your own? :-)

In my mind, I've got a picture of a tank, with two valves; one above
the other, with a rod between the two. In the hole on the top for the
top valve, there is a small amount of circular tubing going down into
the hard ballast tank (thanks for letting me know the right name :-)
), which the valve rests in. When the piston moves upwards, this has
made both valves open. When the piston is moved back to 'normal', both
valves are sealed. When the piston moves  downwards, the bottom valve
is now open, however the top valve is still sealed by the extra length
of circular tubing, giving the three stages a hard ballast could be in
(flooding, normal, dumping).

The only part left in this little theory of mine is how to make this
piston move upwards and downwards. Could hydraulics be a possibility?
I tossed this idea around, but had concerns such as the hydraulic
hosing being exposed to exterior pressure, which would be greater than
its internal pressure, and forcing the hydraulic master cylinder to
burst.