Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hunley ballast

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 1:49 PM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hunley ballast

Hi Bill,

I?m talking about adding more water to the interior (ballast tanks or otherwise) after the sub has equalized at the surface and the ballast tanks have filled up to their ?natural surface level?, probably only partially flooded, and only then after the tanks have been sealed off at the bottom.    I assumed that since the top of the tanks were open to the interior and they adjusted ballast by pumping water out, they must have had a way to seal off the bottom of the tanks, otherwise more water would come into the tank as they tried to pump it out.  With the bottom of the tanks totally closed off, they then could take on more water by pumping it in under pressure. This would slightly compress the air inside, decrease the interior volume, add weight, and decrease buoyancy.    Even more basic a design would be to have enough weight in the sub that once the ballast tanks are opened,  weight alone pushes it deep enough to admit enough water and displace enough interior volume to become negative.  I think you could demonstrate it easily enough with a pipe that is designed with enough weight that it ?barely? floats at the surface.  Adjusted right, almost any amount of water forced inside would sink it.  I would assume that the designers probably wanted good surface flotation with the ballast tanks full of air, barely float when the tanks were opened at the bottom and admitted whatever amount of water would enter, and submerge when the tanks were sealed off at the bottom and enough water was pumped in to make it negative.  Granted, it could be done much easier by pumping air in or out but my thoughts were directed at the original line of questions that started with no bubble trail leaving the sub for submerging or surfacing.  A pretty novel idea for a submarine in this period if it holds up.  Sorry for the long explanation.

Thanks for the Reply.

Sincerely,

Cliff