Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Kittredge Manuals

After building one of his boats, I'd say the best book for a potential
builder would be a book that cover the following:

A first section about the design of a K sub and how it came to be as it is.
    How a basic sub operates
    The differences in small sub designs
    The details of a K sub and the reason for choosing it's design features
    How a K sub operates, in detail
    The complete calculations for the K sub

The second section of the book, the construction section, should have.
    The skill and level of these skills required.
    Something brief about the equipment recommended for construction.
    A detailed story about construction, again with the reasons it was
constructed this way.

Maybe a third section entitled, After the Welding is Finished.
    It could contain sealants and painting
    The required systems on the boat
    The extra "nice to have onboard" things.
    Tailoring and launching
    Testing the boat

A last section on, after it got wet.
    Operation of the boat
    Safe tips
    Emergency procedures for the unexpected
    Helpful tips for using the sub after it's finished.

These areas would cover all the questions I had in my mind at one time or
another, from first encountering a K sub in a magazine article, to my
completion of one.  Probably the questions I wanted answered most through
the whole time were why the designer did what he did each time I wanted to
alter from the plans.  There were times I didn't have the ability or
resources to do as he did, and there were times I thought I could improve on
the design.  Each time, I wanted to be sure not to make and alteration that
would bite me on the back side later on down the road.

I too would like to see a book about the K-350 or K-600 more then a K-250.
I guess a book covering a bit of each would be even better.

That's my three cents worth,  Dan H.
And to Captain Kittredge, It's great to hear your considering writing the
book.  I really enjoyed your last one, especially the sub part.