[PSUBS-MAILIST] Soft-Hard Ballast

Thanks all for the detailed answers.  I was definitely heading down the wrong path planning to make all ballast hard.  I will instead plan to put smaller hard tanks inside the soft tanks to “get slightly more than positive” when ready to ascend.  Once surfaced, I can use a blower to fill the soft tanks and gain even more freeboard without sacrificing bottled air.  I never made the connection that all soft ballast would be completely filled with water when submerging and not affect buoyancy at different depths.  Weight concerns get a lot simpler also since the soft ballast only has to withstand surface travel stresses and ambient pressures at depth.  I also loved the idea of keeping the trim weight inside the 1atm. compartment (mentioned in one of the “bobber-sub” discussions).  That really simplifies the trim adjustment mechanics, further minimizes thru-hull connection/s and eliminates another outside structure that can hangup, cause problems or be difficult to repair at sea.

Thanks Again,

Cliff