[PSUBS-MAILIST] Ballast

What is the difference between soft and hard ballast?

I’m planning to use only sealed ballast tanks (valves at top and bottom) to help maintain neutral buoyancy at varying depths.  I have assumed that soft ballast would be an open bottom ballast tank that would allow buoyancy to change with depth, but have talked myself into the possiblity that hard ballast might actually refer to hard weight (trim, drop).  Also, the term variable ballast would mean any ballast tank that air could be added to or subtracted from, right?

Thaks,

Cliff