Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Spearfishing WARNING

Ha! That was a good one Bob. Nice humor. Gave me a funny mental picture and good chuckle. But I don't think Cliff is going sub spearfishing for the Housatonic. Lol.

One thing I have been thinking about Cliff is this. You said you plan to make like a mini torpedo tube, fixed, non pivoting spear gun that you will

be unable to actually move seperate from the sub. This makes me think of fixed machineguns mounted on the cowling of a WW1 airplane wherein you

have to actually aim the plane to aim the guns. The analogy is the same for your idea of a static speargun on your sub Cliff. But an airplane is much more

maneuverable than a sub. Also the enemy plane is a lot larger and easier to hit than a fish. I just think that you are going to have a hard time spearing anything

unless it swims right in front of where your fixed trajectory of where your spear will go. The only way you could track a fish with it would be to move the sub, just like

moving a plane with a fixed gun. That means you would have to be an expert pilot in turning and trimming your sub and be able to do it while tracking the fish and sighting and firing

your static speargun Cliff. Is it possible? Yes. But darn hard I would think. Unless the fish swam right in front of where your fixed trajectory of the spear would go, or unless you somehow

hung some bait out with a boom to attract the fish to where the fixed trajectory of the spear would go, I just don't see you spearing many fish.

How about thinking of mounting an external speargun on the sub that works like a mechanical arm does. Wherein you could move the external speargun like moving a mechanical retrieval arm.

Then the sub could stay still and only the speargun would move and track the fish. Otherwise you are in a situation that would be like bolting a rifle to your car fender and trying to go

rabbit hunting with it by moving the car to track the rabbit!  Take a look at the nose mounted chain cannon that is used on our apache helicopters. It goes whereever the pilot moves his vision to.

It can track a target with no regard to what position the helicopter is in. You are going to have controls to move your dive planes up and down, and controls to move your rudder side to side.

Why not hook up controls to do the same thing with your speargun? As John Wayne said in the movie The Sands of Iwo Jima, "windage and elevation mister, windage and elevation".

Kindest Regards,

Bill Akins.