Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] computers in subs

Simon,

I know it's out of my league, but out of curiosity, what is the price tag for that setup?

Thanks --Doug J

In a message dated 4/1/2005 5:05:11 PM Central Standard Time, dr_redus@devtex.net writes:
Simon,

For the 1 atm sub I have under fabrication, I am using an Automationdirect (http://web4.automationdirect.com/adc/Home/Home), DirectLogic 205 series PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) with a 6" color touch screen display which is used to interface with the controller and for all gage displays.  The PLC base has 9 modules, 1 CPU, 3 analog input, 1 digital input, 1 RTD input, 1 analog output and two relay output modules.  The PLC is currently configured with 20 analog input channels, 12 digital input channels, 4 RTD temperatures inputs, 4 analog output channels, and 18 relay output channels.  The CPU module (DL 260), which is about  the size of a bar of soap, has two RS232 ports, one of which is used to connect to my compass/roll/pitch sensor and the other is connected to the touch screen display. A dual axis joy stick is used for roll and pitch analog input to the PLC and a potentiometer on the rudder pedals is used as an analog input for yaw control.  The joystick has 6 switches that I use for blowing and flooding the MBT and VBT as well as moving the trim weight forward or aft via a power screw driven by a hydraulic motor. This setup gives me fly by wire capability.  A laptop PC was used to write the ladder logic, design the screens and download the ladder logic and screens into the PLC. All is working fine on the bench and I found the system to be quite flexible in changing inputs and outputs to the PLC and modifying display screens.

A PLC was chosen over a hardened PC for robustness and to minimize space. The PLC is powered from either the main battery bank (120 VDC) via a DC-DC converter (120 VDC to 24 VDC) or from an independent emergency battery pack (24 VDC).

Cliff
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 5:08 AM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] computers in subs

NEW TOPIC!!

Who uses onboard computers on their subs? Are you using modified
trimix SCUBA computers, or homebrew type stuff?

Simon,

You mean a dive computer or a normal? On a 1 atm sub a deco computer makes no sense.
If my sub is operational again; I consider a pocket pc for instument reading ,listing checklists, gps navigation and as video camera display/capture.
There are probably more possebilities and it might save space.

disadvantage: not water resistant

regards Emile
Emile D.L. van Essen
www.AiResearch.nl