Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Spearfishing

Hi Guys!

Let's hope all this doesn't turn into an all out flame war..

Firstly, I don't have a big problem with recreational fishing. I
personally don't enjoy it, but many/most people I know do it
regularly. If you look at a world map, you'll see New Zealand  is
small, thin, and surrounded by the ocean. No matter where you are in
New Zealand, you are never more than a few hours drive to the ocean.
We're a country of people who love to fish, dive, water ski, go
sailing, and in general get out on the water and have fun. The only
fishing license you need is for fresh water trout; aside from that,
anybody who has a fishing rod is more than welcome to try their luck.

I agree with you that commercial fishermen are the problem. I'd be
suprised if recreational fishing was to make up 10% of what is caught
each year. HOWEVER, commercial fishermen go out deep in order to get
their catch. Recreational fishermen generally hang around bays and
close to land, in shallower water. I'll give an example : you have
hundreds of boaties going out each day, each with at least two people,
and for the purpose of being pessimistic, only catch one fish each.
Two hundred fish a day, which becomes 1400 fish a week. It's a small
amount in comparison to the amounts that commercial trawlers catch,
but for a relatively small area, your local bay and favourite fishing
spots quickly begin to empty out. Once the big fish are gone, there's
nothing to eat the sea urchins. Once the sea urchins have no
predators, they continue to multiply and wipe out most underwater
vegetation. With no underwater vegetation, the remaining smaller fish
go elsewhere. With no smaller fish, like algae eaters, the ocean turns
into the rather unpleasant shade of green which most people will
recognise at local, fairly populated beaches and marinas. No
visibility, no fish, just the odd jellyfish.

But this is going off topic.

Let's face it - spearfishing isn't really a challenge. Fish don't swim
away in fear, the same way a deer will run for it's life the second it
smells the slightest hint of a human. All you need to do is swim down,
wait 10 seconds or so, point the gun  and pull the trigger. The least
you can do is take your gear off, and give the fish something  of a
chance of getting away.

So what if you have to cut your line of a fish is pulling you under?
That's the point of not wearing your gear! Once you lose your scuba
gear, it becomes a challenge. IT BECOMES SPORTING.

Hunters already have enough challenge catching their prey - they must
stalk it silently, conceal themselves, and hope to god that the wind
doesn't change direction, alerting their prey to their presence.

I don't know what sharks are like in Florida, but here they're not
really an issue. They are in no short supply, but I have yet to hear
of anybody who has had a nasty experience with one.

On that note, have you tried spearfishing without your SCUBA gear? I
cannot speak from personal experience, but those I have spoken to
about  it say it's absolutely fantastic. You'd be suprised the efforts
the 'spearie' community goes to in order to maximse their
breath-holding time; so far as to enroll in yoga classes just for the
breathing exercises.

If you're ever in the southern hemisphere, I also recommend you drop
into New Zealand and try some diving here. Jacques Cousteau personally
placed one of our marine reserves in the top 10 dive sites in the
world. The most interesting aspect of the underwater life  here is the
transitions you see - the tip of New Zealand is close to the equator,
hence beautiful coral reefs. On the other end of the scale, in the
south, is the closest land to antarctica, hence some really amazing
stuff. There's a place in Fiordland where a river runs off nearby
mountains, taking on tannin from decaying leaves, making the water
brown and running onto a local bay. This has made the first 3metres of
it freshwater, and brown, yet below this layer is crystal clear salty
seawater.

Anyway, I'm rambling. The bottom line is that everybody will have
different opinions, and as a wise man once said, "I may not agree with
what you say, but I will fight to the death your right to say it."

-Simon