Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:52 AM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] History wrong? WW2 German midget sub in Flor ida.

Bill Akins,

What area are you speaking of?

-Chris
-----Original Message-----
From: Akins [mailto:lakins1@tampabay.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 2:55 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org

Hello everyone.

Several weeks ago I was reading about WW2 German U boat U166 being found in 2001 in 5000 ft of water and how it is the only german sub sunk in the Gulf of Mexico.

That might not be correct and there just might be two subs.

This got me to thinking about some divers I spoke with about a year ago. They told me they were diving just one mile east of one of our islands here in Florida

and found a small sunken submarine. They said the coast guard came out to their boat, hassled them, and then told them to leave because of military

exercises in the area. There were no military ships in the area though.

I didn't give this much thought and figured they were just pulling my chain and attributed it to another U boat legend of which there are many.

Then yesterday, my dive buddy who is an instructor and I had told of the above incident called me. He told me he has a book that tells of the coast guard in 1945

taking a captured two man german midget sub out to just one mile east of one of our islands and using it for gunnery practise and sinking it. The book

even told how many shells were used to sink it. Joe (my dive buddy) has a chart with the possible location of the sub. This chart is seperate and unrelated to the above mentioned book.

He is coming over tomorrow night and we are going to try and plan a dive trip to see if we can locate the sub. The book said it was in only 18 ft of water.

I have heard many U boat legends about the one loaded with treasure, then the one loaded with mercury. Most if not all of them are just that. Legends.

But this one seems to have recurring evidence and since it is so close I would love to check it out. If the coast guard towed it out for gunnery practise you would

think any munitions would not be aboard and thus the coast guard would not care to run people away from it. Puzzling.

Since the sub would be in Florida waters I would think the state would have authority over the sub and not the coast guard. I asked the divers of the previous year about

that and they said they didn't argue the law with men with guns but left as ordered. Any ideas here of who I could contact to determine who owns the sub, if it can legally be dove upon,

and if the coast guard has authority to run me away. Any knowledge on this would be helpful. If it IS there, being a midget it could be raised and preserved for static museum display.

Some might say leave it alone. But if we leave them there another 60 years will there be anything left but a mound of iron oxide? What do we leave for future generations by doing that?

Thanks.
Kindest Regards,
Bill Akins.