Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Wetsub carrier water transport systems

Hi, Bill and all . . . a delayed response to your post from January [I've been ill for a month - no email, no nookie, no nothin']

I've posted two conceptual drawings to Moki.  One made it, one didn't.  Take a peak.

As per Vance's suggestion, also noted on the sketch, if you keep your pod as an air bubble and your 'toons as the weight bearers, then physics will keep the rubber side down, so to speak.  Essentially, you've got a pendulum with lead on the bottom and a balloon on the top.  Not much room for error there.

Also, regarding the mating process you described between your sub and the surface transport pontoons: Seriously avoid that approach.  As an ex-commercial diver, I can attest to the fact that manoeuvering two vessels that intimately in a seaway is an invitation to disaster.  Even a six inch chop can bring out the worst in a grown man, especially if there are witnesses.

The pros struggled with this pretty well from the beginning of the commercial/scientific submersible days.  As Vance also mentioned, one solution to the problem was to submerge the pontoons an atmosphere or so and mate underwater away from surface action.

Here's a possible alternate solution: Design your hull efficiently and install some high horse motors and carry lots of batts.  Build your sub with Atlantic Bows [ref.: u-boat and u.s. fleet boat bows, esp. the Gato's and Balao's] and you're on your way.  A thought.

Warm regards,

Rick Lucertini
Vancouver, Canada