Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] acrylic viewports

William Alford wrote: I have contemplated the placing of a piece of steel reinforcement

I thought about the same trick and it seems like it would help if the pressure point was large and would give good support.  Except that, the out side diameter is held and supported by a large surface area and I'm guessing that the pressure also holds the view port in place by compression and friction of the materials. I think its an elastic thing going on.  The patch pressure point in the center unless quite large may create more stress by an in-balance of pressure over the entire view port.  I don't really know and may be full of crap.  It just seems like it might work and it also seems like it may create more problems than it cures. I've come to the conclusion that spherical sections are the way to go.  Flat is flat, it's cheep, but it's still flat.  Depth requires round things and there doesn't seem to be any way around it.  There are a few things that cost big bucks,  (1) is speed  (2)  is altitude  (3) is depth and (4) is women

  Dave Banks

 <walford@dbtech.net> wrote:
> I remember taking a straight edge and setting it against the view port at
> depth. At depth it does start to flex inward just a little, and you can
> measure it.

Do you Yahoo!?
The all-new My Yahoo! ? What will yours do?